Born in 1904 in New Haven, Connecticut, Frederick G. Crabb graduated from the U. S. Military Academy in 1930. Commissioned in the Infantry, he served with the 13th, 21st, and 28th Infantry. In 1939, Crabb was detailed to the Ordnance Department. He then attended the Massachusetts Institute of Technology for a year and was a student officer at Aberdeen Proving Ground.
He soon became an expert in automotive and tank maintenance. From 1940 to 1941, he served as assistant Ordnance officer, 1st Armored Corps, Fort Knox, Kentucky.
Following the U. S. entry into World War II, he was Ordnance officer for the 2nd Armored Division during the North African and Sicilian campaigns. His response to a parts shortage during the Sicilian campaign exemplifies his determination to keep his division combat ready. General George Patton dispatched his C47 transport plane with Lieutenant Colonel Crabb on board to Bizerte in North Africa to find the needed parts. He commandeered a dozen trucks from the 2nd Armored Division rear echelon and, armed with a letter from Patton requesting assistance in procuring parts, proceeded to load up what he needed from an Eastern Base Section depot. He then persuaded a Navy lieutenant to transport the parts to Sicily on a Landing Ship Tank (LST).
During the Normandy invasion and until war's end, he served as ordnance officer for the XIX Corps. Following the war, he served briefly as deputy commander of the Red River Ordnance Depot and then, from 1946 to 1948, as Ordnance officer, U. S. Constabulary, Europe. He branch transferred to Ordnance in 1947. In 1949, given his expertise in automotive maintenance, he was appointed chief of the Maintenance Branch, Office of the Chief of Ordnance. Prior to his retirement as a colonel in 1963, Crabb commanded the Mount Rainer Ordnance Depot. He died in 1981.