Major General Earl S. Gruver was born in Easton, Pennsylvania in 1898.
From 1929 until 1935, General Gruver was a gunnery test officer at Aberdeen Proving Ground and then helped provide Ordnance support for mechanized cavalry at Fort Eustis, Virginia and Fort Knox, Kentucky.
He returned to West Point as an instructor in ordnance and gunnery for several years, then attended the Command and General Staff College, completing the course there in 1938. Several other assignments at Fort Benning and Fort Knox followed, and in 1942 he became the Ordnance Officer for the U.S. Military Mission in Cairo, Egypt.
He later was responsible for the depots, shops, and schools which supported the British Eighth Army with U.S. materiel, including the supervision of maintenance on all equipment.
Transferred to England late in 1944 as Deputy Ordnance Officer for the Services of Supply Headquarters, he also prepared plans for the invasion of Europe as Chief of the Planning Division, Ordnance Section. He was Chief of the Industrial Activities Division in the Office of the Under Secretary of War from 1945 to 1946, and then served in Panama as Ordnance Officer, Panama Canal Department, and later as Ordnance Officer, U.S. Army Caribbean.
General Gruver retired in 1955, and died in 1963.