Medal of Honor

Hulon B. Whittington

Major Hulon B. WhittingtonMaj. Hulon Brock Whittington was born in Bogalusa, Louisiana, on 9 July 1921. He enlisted in the Army in August 1940. He participated in the invasions of North Africa and Sicily and was awarded the Silver Star, the Bronze Star and the Purple Heart with Oak Leaf Cluster, the French Croix de Guerre and the Belgian Fouraguerre for heroism in Sicily and in France during 26 months of combat. His actions which earned him the Medal of Honor occurred on 29 July 1944 while attached to the 41st Armored Infantry, 2nd Armored Division, near Grimesnil, France.

A strong enemy attack began around midnight and overtook some small American outposts. Sgt. Whittington reorganized the defense and, under fire, courageously crawled between gun positions to check the actions of his men. When the advancing enemy attempted to penetrate a road block he organized, Sgt. Whittington disregarded intense enemy action, mounted a tank and by shouting through the turret, directed it into position to fire point blank at the lead Mark V German tank. The destruction of this vehicle blocked all movement of the remaining enemy column, consisting of over 100 vehicles of a Panzer unit. The blocked vehicles were then destroyed by hand grenades, bazooka, tank and artillery fire and large numbers of enemy personnel were wiped out by a bold and resolute bayonet charge inspired by Sgt. Whittington. When the medical aid man had become a casualty, Sgt. Whittington personally administered first aid to his wounded men.

After the war, he was commissioned a first lieutenant of Infantry in August 1949 and, in November 1951, was assigned to the Ordnance Officer Candidate School at Aberdeen Proving Ground, Maryland. In April 1953, he was assigned to the Ordnance School and in September of that year transferred from Infantry to Ordnance. Promoted to Captain in October 1953, he remained at the Ordnance School until December 1954. Later assignments included tours in the Pacific, at the Erie Ordnance Depot in Ohio and in Europe. After promotion to Major in September 1960, he went to Vietnam as a senior volunteer Ordnance advisor to the Republic of Vietnam Army's 2nd. In Vietnam he suffered a heart attack and retired from the Army in March 1963. He lived and worked in Toledo, Ohio. Maj. Whittington died in Toledo, Ohio, on 17 January 1969 at the age of 47.